Tuesday 22 November 2011

Home again (at least for a while)




Crickey, I'm home! Baby Bea was just getting rather used to her Italian lifestyle; espressos in the morning in bustling little cafes, scooting around Roman streets on her noisy Vespa, big family lunches in front of the fire, a glass of chilled prosecco in the afternoon with just a tiniest scoop of gelato, vigorous political arguments with total strangers on the streets and lively bunga bunga parties in the evening (actually, definitely not the last one), when suddenly I'm being dragged back to the UK on a grey, foggy morning via those twin forms of torture; EasyJet and Luton airport. Hardly a soft landing Mummy...

Mummy: You should be happy it wasn't Ryanair and Stansted darling, we do actually love you a bit.

Apparently however I "shouldn't get too comfortable" as we going somewhere called "Australia" on Thursday. To be frank I have absolutely no idea where this place is, but I can only assume that it can't possibly involve as much travelling and general brouhaha as getting all the way to Italy. I shall prepare myself for a 45 minute car trip, maybe even a brief train journey or a quick ride in a taxi.

I'm not too sure what to expect when I get to this Australia place, but apparently it's a bit of a backwater as we are not going to be staying long - our main target is somewhere a bit further along called "Tasmania", which I guess is the main attraction. There we are going to see my Nanna, otherwise known by Daddy as my "great-grandmother". Please don't tell him, but frankly this is also a bit confusing as I already have two grandmothers and, in my eyes, they are both pretty great. Perhaps, in this context "great" means very large? Or maybe it is used like in "Great Britain" and this grandmother used to run an empire that stretched across most of the known world. In fact, given the way that Daddy talks about her, that seems the most sensible solution.

We are also going to see another branch of my family (which I am beginning to realise is rather large and complicated) these ones all seem rather tall and fair judging by the photos. Also Mummy tells me that they speak funny and has suggested that if I don't understand what they are saying I should just stare at them and smile inanely......given this is my default conversational gambit, it shouldn't be to hard to pull off.

Anyway I am going to hop along now, say goodnight and see what tomorrow brings. By the way, the blanket in these photos was knitted for me by my fantastic auntie Pepa, isn't it pretty?

No comments:

Post a Comment