Wednesday 31 August 2011

One week old today!


Baby Bea has reached her first major milestone. I am one week old today! And what a week it has been, I have learnt how to manage most of my major functions; breathing, eating, digesting, excreting (sometimes used to powerful effect) crying and moving. I have found things I like; breast feeding from Mummy, sleeping on Daddy, the NHS, equal rights for women and clothes that fit me, and I have found things I don't......mainly being woken up in the middle of the night to be force-fed formula milk.

Now I have had milestones before, but previously they were generally counting down to my birth (2 months to go, 1 month to go etc), but now they are counting away from it. One week ago today, my parents had what I can confidently say was their biggest shock of their lives as I popped into existence two weeks early and definitely more quickly than expected. It has been a good week so far; visitors, presents, bunches of flowers being delivered to the door, regular supplies of delicious cake (see my birthday cakes in the photo) sleeping for 18 hours a day, constant silver service meeting my every need. I don't want to worry my parents, but having set the bar this high I expect that the next 18 years to be of an equally high standard. If not, there will be hell to pay....

Postscript - Daddy received an email today from someone called Auntie Amanda. Now I am not too sure who this is and due to my lack of object permanence I cannot even conceive of something existing if it I can't see actually see it or touch it, but somehow she knew that it was my one week birthday today! I asked Daddy how this could be and he helpfully explained that my Auntie Amanda is like one of those complex Victorian adding machines, a thousand cogs, chains and wheels spinning in intricate motions, tracking the birthdays, anniversaries and other important information of almost everyone she knows. She sounds amazing, I get to meet her tomorrow...exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment